[bittorrent] need some help

Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com administrator dwknight at depthstrike.com
Wed May 25 06:58:05 EDT 2005

"How many simultaneous torrent file I can host in my
host machine."
As much as ram permits. I run trackers with 200-300 files on them
that only use about 10mbyte of ram.

"There are around 3000 people in our university.So at
the peak period we may have at lest 300-400
simultaneous download.(BTW what is the upper limit)"
We haven't reached the practical upper limit for bittorrent yet.
Current tests have the limit for trackers in the hundreds of
thousands, but there are hardware-related bottlenecks involved there.

If blocks of people attempt to get the same study material at the
same time, they all help each other out.
With this, the only real central storage would be for the .torrent
files themselves. The seeds can be anywhere that is accessible to the
downloaders and do not need to be on the same system as the .torrent
files or the tracker.

I would recommend using a dedicated tracker package rather than one
built into a client. Performance will be higher and the tracker's
resource footprint will be smaller.