[bittorrent] Intersecting Torrent data ???

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Mon May 9 17:17:24 EDT 2005

Hello,

(Please note, I'm not an expert on BitTorrent, so some of this may show my
ignorance. Feel free to correct me.)

Are there any "standard" techniques being used when you want the user to
download a sequence of files via BitTorrent??? Let me illustrate what I am
asking with an example....

For example, let's say I wanted someone to download:

a.ogg
b-us.ogg
c.ogg
d-us.ogg
e.ogg

(And I wanted them to "download" them in that order. Because maybe they were
"playing" them in that order.)

It's my understanding that I could combine these into one torrent and have
them "download" from:

http://www.example.com/us.torrent

However, let's say we also have:

http://www.example.com/ca.torrent

and this torrent gives:

a.ogg
b-ca.ogg
c.ogg
d-ca.ogg
e.ogg

Then, we can see that "us.torrent" and "ca.torrent" both "give" the files:

a.ogg
c.ogg
e.ogg

(Although within each torrent, the "blocks" that the files are divided up
into, for "download", would likely be different.)

And we also see that "us.torrent" only gives:

b-us.ogg
d-us.ogg

And only "ca.torrent" gives:

b-ca.ogg
d-ca.ogg

With the way things currently are, there is a lost chance for "swarming", in
that "us.torrent" and "ca.torrent" both have people "downloading" "a.ogg", "
c.ogg", and "e.ogg", however, they are NOT pooling their clients together.

One solution to this might be to say, don't use one torrent file. And have
torrents like:

http://www.example.com/a.torrent
http://www.example.com/b-ca.torrent
http://www.example.com/b-us.torrent
http://www.example.com/c.torrent
http://www.example.com/d-ca.torrent
http://www.example.com/d-us.torrent
http://www.example.com/e.torrent

However, you'd then need a method, outside the BitTorrent protocol, that
would communicate this list. Also, if the files are very small, then, if I
understand things correctly, it would actually have an adverse affect on
performance.

So, what are people currently doing in situations like this? Are there any
techniques for situations like this?

See ya

--
Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.