[bittorrent] Re: BitTorrent Digest, Vol 2, Issue 18

Mike Ravkine krypt at mountaincable.net
Mon May 2 11:06:12 EDT 2005

David,

    Piece length is typically set automatically (that's how MakeTorrent
does it at least, and I know it's fairly popular), and is usually set in
such a way as to keep the torrent from growing no bigger then 40-50k.
Dropping the piece size as you suggest has 2 consequences:

1) Bigger torrents.. using a 128kb piece size will double the current
standard torrent size, and effectively kill off the [very useful]
ability to scale piece length linearly with the filesize to maintain a
constant torrent size.
2) Memory use.  Particularly in python implementations of BT, memory use
grows substantially as you increase the number of pieces (I ran some
tests a while ago).

--kRYPT