[bittorrent] New P2P protocols

Nick Johnson arachnid at notdot.net
Wed Mar 30 21:39:19 EST 2005

On 31/03/2005, at 1:07 PM, Arvid Norberg wrote:

> I assume anyone running the client would be a node in the DHT, and all
> files ("torrents") published would utilize the same network as its
> tracker with the info-hash as the key.

I had envisaged a situation where each torrent has its own DHT, and the
key is the IP, as is the data. Using the info-hash as the key would
place all the burden of tracking a torrent on a single unfortunate
(random) host.

> We've not only been thinking about how to implement a distributed
> tracker with a DHT, but also how to use it as a search network. You
> could extract keywords, hash them, and use them as keys to store
> information about all files containing a particular keyword.

One known problem with DHTs in this regard is that whichever peer
happens to be the place to store a particular popular keyword (eg,
'iso', 'download', etc) tends to get swamped with keys and searches.

> Anyway, I would be interested in being posted about progress on this
> project. And if you get some parts working, maybe I could supply the
> DHT-tracker.

What language are you writing your library in?