[bittorrent] New P2P protocols

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Sun Mar 27 05:44:55 EST 2005

replying to myself...

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 11:41 +0100, Justin Cormack wrote:
> I hadnt really thought about the fact that with 1k verification units on
> Merkle trees you could just support both UDP and TCP with no protocol
> changes at all. That should keep everyone happy, and I suggest we agree
> on that block size of Merkle right now...

The main problem with making it this interchangeable between TCP and UDP
is that the other non-data messages may get lost, haves, chokes etc.
There are quite a few workarounds though: if you have choked a peer and
it makes a request, just send another choke message back etc. Needs some
thought, but doable I think.