[bittorrent] Choice of listener ports

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Mar 26 17:58:57 EST 2005

I was reading an article on SlashDot in which a student was deprived of
Internet privileges for operating a BT client:

<http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/25/1916233>

Traditionally BT peers listen on ports 6881-6889, and trackers on 6969. But
those values aren't defined in the protocol; they're just conventions. It
occurred to me that one way to deal with blocking is to listen on a port
normally used for an "approved" service, such as 25, 80, 110 or 443. (Those
using mod_bt to run a tracker inside Apache can run the tracker on the same
port as their regular web server. Others could use Apache to proxy port 80
requests to their separate tracker program.)

What problems would you foresee from doing this?