[bittorrent] The value of trust and acceptance

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Sat Mar 26 09:49:45 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 08:23 -0500, John Reuning wrote:
> The permaseed concept is part of the osprey project:
> http://osprey.ibiblio.org

AH yes thanks for refreshing my memory.

> I'm also curious to hear Simon's ideas on tracker behaviour
> modification. :)  But there was an earlier discussion about using BGP in
> conjunction with BT trackers.  I've heard that Google adwords uses
> geolocation to send browsers in a given part of the world to advertisers
> near them.  BT clients already choose peers that transfer faster.
> However, with information BGP routing tables might be able to supply,
> the tracker could create subswarms by giving clients peer lists based on
> the client's location on the Internet.

BGP: well its ok if you have a BGP feed. Not many people do though.
Google geolocation seems pretty accurate, I presume they buy it
commercially. Hardcoded IP lists based on your ISPs peering arrangements
are probably ok too, or even have a traceroute based system that looks
at the routes taken to see if they go over an expensive hop.

I am not sure what to do about the inherent fragility of subswarms
because they have little connectivity between each other (though if you
only change seed behaviour this is not an issue). I think it is an
interesting area to explore though, I remember why the BGP discussion
came up, wrt large mirrors (that are mostly seeding) that can probably
saturate the average peer anywhere in the world but would rather send to
the local ones and have them send out to the rest of the world.

I think this would be best done by the client software not the trackers.
In seed mode there is currently no guidance as to how to send out data
anywhere in the protocol. Adding a seed behaviour plugin would be good
(as part of my rewrite I am going to make all the behaviour encapsulated
in selectable modules. Give me a bit longer - trying to get the design
decisions right this time). This doesnt require any protocol changes,
and remains robust.