[bittorrent] The value of trust and acceptance

John Reuning john at metalab.unc.edu
Sat Mar 26 08:23:20 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 12:12 +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:

> > Secondly,  a sucessor content-distribution system that can offer a
> > gateway in  to these existing clients will find it a lot easier to
> > achieve criticial mass.   Such a gateway can be built by creating
> > pseudo-trackers that induce desired behaviour from the client by
> > manipulating the weaknesses in the BT  model for the client's benefit.
> > This approach meshes nicely with the perma-seed concept.
>
> What client behaviours are you thinking of? Using the trackers to select
> peers for particular clients? Can you elaborate on what you are thinking
> about, it sounds interesting.

The permaseed concept is part of the osprey project:
http://osprey.ibiblio.org

I'm also curious to hear Simon's ideas on tracker behaviour
modification. :)  But there was an earlier discussion about using BGP in
conjunction with BT trackers.  I've heard that Google adwords uses
geolocation to send browsers in a given part of the world to advertisers
near them.  BT clients already choose peers that transfer faster.
However, with information BGP routing tables might be able to supply,
the tracker could create subswarms by giving clients peer lists based on
the client's location on the Internet.

Thanks,

-jrr