[bittorrent] Anonymity (was: New P2P protocols)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Mar 25 10:55:03 EST 2005

--On Friday, March 25, 2005 2:01 AM -0800 Bill Cox <bill at viasic.com> wrote:

> The goal of gnutella seems to be:
>
> -- Low cost (almost free), sharing/pirating of
> copyrighted data, with
> minimal chance of getting caught.  Most commonly,
> sharing of copyrighted
> music.

<http://www.gnutella.com/news/4210>

Nothing in there about stealing music. And I see plenty of Torrent users
asking for copyrighted video.

An important feature of Gnutella is anonymity. That can be used to get
around oppressive governments as well as publishers worried about
competition from new technology. While it hasn't been an objective of BT,
it's a feature worth considering, perhaps as an extension.

A recent item on SlashDot entitled "Contrabandwidth", on the black market
Internet under oppressive regimes:

<http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/20/181240>