[bittorrent] various things

David P. Mott dpmott at sep.com
Wed Mar 23 17:28:08 EST 2005

Hi all --

Here's my $0.02 worth on various topics:

Mailing list name:

If we're going to do anything that even remotely involves adopting new
protocol extensions or even develop a new protocol (i.e. anything that
Bram has already showed zero interest in, or has actively shot down), then
we should probably change the name.  I've been toying with "Downpour"
myself.  Feel free to use it if you want.

If we're just going to pine about things that we'd like to see, with the
understanding that Bram will never hear us (and won't care either way),
then we could probably keep the name the same.  I personally vote for
changing the name.

Yahoo mailing list archive:

I've had a script for awhile that pulls down the messages and removes the
ads.  You can browse each message off-line, and it looks just like you're
on the Yahoo! site.  I haven't run it in awhile, but I've been cranking it
today.  I'll have *all* of the messages by tonight, so if you want it,
I'll put it up on my Azureus torrent server tomorrow and post a link to
the metadata torrent, if you like.

> I think the most important thing to do is to start to build a community
> process. We need to work out what people want and can contribute, and
> how things can be tested.

Yes.  Please god, yes.  I'd be *really* happy if anyone cared to start up
a new P2P project (sourceforge?) and actually design the thing from the
ground up (software requirements specification, high-level design,
unit testing, integration/system testing, etc.).  I'd be all about
participating in that...

Let me know what I can do.  Somewhat low bandwidth hosting, organization,
planning, etc.

Thanks,
-dpmott (EnergizerRabbit1)