[bittorrent] Protocol name, list charter

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Mar 23 15:15:59 EST 2005

--On Wednesday, March 23, 2005 1:20 PM -0500 Bill Cox <bill at zavelson.com>
wrote:

> I'm hoping we may be able to agree here about how to actually adopt
> improvements/extensions, rather than just talk about them.

Bram seems to want to keep the BitTorrent name for his own work, so perhaps
we should consider coming up with another name for protocols developed by
others. I imagine that this will be a family of protocols, not a single
definition.

I think of "torrent" as a local fluid phenomenon, so perhaps "BitTide"
would be a good name for a family of P2P protocols that involves peers from
all over the planet.