[BitTorrent] XML Torrents?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Mar 11 19:26:11 EST 2005

--On Friday, March 11, 2005 12:26 PM -0800 Elliott Mitchell <ehem at m5p.com>
wrote:

> [info_hash's] provide proof that the data blocks have been transfered
> successfully. This includes showing that the peer isn't sending you
> garbage hoping to fool you into given credit for pieces you haven't
> transferred.

Looking at the Tracker GET request in the protocol spec at
<http://www.bittorrent.com/protocol.html>, I don't see how the info_hash
provides any integrity. I understand how the fragment hashes do that, but
those are computed from the payload file, not the metadata file, and aren't
sensitive to the representation of the metadata.

I also don't see any mechanism for preventing spoofing of one's statistics
to the tracker.