[BitTorrent] Have maps (was Merkle, URLs, etc)

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sun Mar 6 19:33:39 EST 2005

>From: Joseph Ashwood <ashwood at msn.com>

The majority seems to disagree with you and think binary Merkle trees
will work fine. There are certainly places where they are far from ideal,
but remember that a flat DB is also far from ideal in some places.

Your argument of computation time and size being too great for binary
Merkle trees has already been thoroughly ground into the dirt. Notably
the tree overhead is only small-order linear with the size of the
payload.

I agree that binary trees appear to be very much sub-optimal, but this
isn't a fatal flaw. Unless you can bring up some fresh new aspect of this
issue, would you please shut up about this issue?