[BitTorrent] Possibility of using Bittorrent in a non-WEB environment?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 11:20:17 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:57:56 +0000, yi wu <yiren259 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> For example, I have one thousand Linux system on a network and I want to
> distribute a 3GB file to all the systems in a peer-to-peer fashion
> automatically without human intervention.

If you want to do this regularly, you would first need to install
bittorrent on all of the systems and then you could set up a cron
python script that gets a list of .torrent files from some URL on the
LAN and then tries to download them.  Run your cron script nightly,
the systems download the file and then the next day you remove the
.torrent from your http server.

If you want to do it once...you'll need human interaction, but
bittorrent might still be a good distribution mechanism.  You probably
know this already, but there are tools which will execute the same
command on a large number of hosts.  I can't remember their names now,
but Linux Journal had a review of one a little while ago.

Greg