[BitTorrent] XML Torrents?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Mar 11 13:00:12 EST 2005

--On Friday, March 11, 2005 10:18 AM +0000 Justin Cormack
<justin at street-vision.com> wrote:

> Actually the character encoding and space reasons are relatively minor.

Yeah, I don't see the point of saving 20 bytes when we're dealing with a
protocol designed to transfer hundreds of megabytes.
Penny-wise/pound-foolish. For larger XML files, the "bloat" can easily be
dealt with using commonplace compression like deflate. For example,
OpenOffice documents are stored in zipped XML collections. Much of the
bloat is caused by the large in-line descriptive tags, and those are
natural candidates for leveraging dictionary-based compression.

The encoding issue is somewhat orthogonal. The XML advantage there is that
it has a well-defined mechanism for specifying encodings, but it's not the
"selling point".

> For many purposes it would be very useful to have a text format (eg to
> send a torrent by email). However it is required that there is a unique
> representation of the info portion of the torrent file so that the info
> hash can be generated (hence the rules about ordering of fields in
> bencoding). XML doesnt give you a fixed representation, so you still need
> some canonical form.

I see what you mean. It looks like the hash is used as a short-hand way of
representing a given metadata file, to be used as a key into the tracker
and peer state machines to identify a given swarm. Does the hash serve a
security purpose, or just an identification function? If the latter, the
authoring application could hash the initial contents of the XML
representation that it's written and append it as a final element. This
would provide the required uniqueness without requiring that a particular
representation be maintained by those communicating the content.

To me, the advantages of XML are extensibility, self-documentation, and
easy validation. Plus the wide availability of tools to manipulate the
format. This makes it easy to implement the tracker part of new clients in
any language that has an XML parser, and makes it easy to extend the
protocol. Since the tracker acts as a web server, and XML has web origins,
it also makes it natural to adapt existing web machinery to do the job.

Is bencoding so special? If the original BT protocol had been written in
Perl, would everyone be raving about Data::Dumper format? (And I recall
that PHP has its own data structure dump format.)

(BTW, note that I'm not proposing XML for the peer protocol, which is much
more performance-sensitive. For now I'm just talking about the metadata
file (ie. the .torrent).)