[BitTorrent] Possibility of using Bittorrent in a non-WEB environment?

Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com Administrator dwknight at depthstrike.com
Mon Mar 14 21:41:29 EST 2005

BitTorrent can work in that environment, distributing the 3GB file in
segments automatically between all the systems. There is a minimal
amount of intervention required (getting the .torrent metafile to the
machines without the file and starting it there), but the bandwidth
load will be more balanced across the network.

If your entire network is switched, you should see progressively more
and more bandwidth available to machines that don't have the file as
machines that have parts of the file get more parts and/or complete.
You won't have to worry about massive strain on the source system
because of the segmented nature of a BitTorrent transfer.

All the systems on the network could, in theory, start simultaneously
and all get a maximum transfer rate of the source system's upload
until all the pieces are available outside of the source, at which
point they start getting speeds closer to their network backbone
uplink.

What you are planning on doing is fairly close to what the intended
purpose of BT is.