[BitTorrent] Have maps (was Merkle, URLs, etc)

Konstantin 'Kosta' Welke kosta at fillibach.de
Fri Mar 11 07:26:21 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:23:55 -0800, Joseph Ashwood <ashwood at msn.com> wrote:

>> I think that the cost is depth*N. How do you check a node without knowing
>> its silblings?

> By having the sibling heads embedded in the parent. That makes it so the the
> download of the siblings is not necessary for verification. The algorithm is
> instead:
> Verify parent hash integrity
> Verify child hash integrity
> Verify that child head matches parent-child head
> The first two require hash finalizations, the last is a binary compare.

Okay, now I understand that your last emails weren't just full of
nonsense, but we have a very different idea about what is saved
in the nodes. (To be honest, I think I didnt read the message where
you proposed the 6-tuples carefully, so it may be my fault).
I'll try to make some sense out of your email and come back to you.
If one cannot fake those messages you're taking about, we still have
to compare the extra overhead in the nodes with "just save the damn
hash everything else is implicit".

until later :)
Kosta