[BitTorrent] XML Torrents?

David Smith smith458 at msu.edu
Thu Mar 10 21:40:28 EST 2005

> XML is bloated. XML has lots of stuff we dont need, and it takes up
> much much more space. bencoding is a nice, easily machine-readable,
> compact format.

> bottom line: There is no reason to switch to XML. And we wont escape
> the different character encoding diffuculties by that.

I agree.  We don't NEED XML - yet.

However: Bencoding is not fun, and it's not easily HUMAN-readable.

I hate reading through long lines of Bencoded/binary/hard text trying to
discern meaning. That's it.

XML has much more support for a more robust, human-recognizable structure.
When the time comes, I'll be more than willing to implement the XML
structures.

Also, I don't want to have to re-invent tools to manipulate Bencoded
structures.  I don't enjoy re-inventing the wheel.

David Smith
Michigan State University
smith458 at msu.edu
248.770.5524