[BitTorrent] HELP! "bad bencoded data" with new generated torrent

John Hoffman theshadow at shambala.net
Thu Mar 10 04:39:43 EST 2005

>>            A hint, where your problem MIGHT be: UTF-8 encoding?
>>

>>http://cplan.cse.msu.edu/weblogs/smithiscrazy/archive/2005/02/07/370.aspx
>>

>>            P.S.   .torrent files are now encoded in UTF-8 ( I'm pretty sure
>>=D )  Check out BT 4.0.0 at http://www.bittorrent.com
>><http://www.bittorrent.com/>
>>

>There are two spots that claim BT uses UTF-8, one of the linked to
>locations does not exist (http://www.bittorrent.com/download.html), while
>the other (http://www.bittorrent.com/protocol.html) says nothing of the
>sort. I am therefore highly skeptical of the reliability of the original
>author.
>
>The person responding as "Bram" (who may or may not be Bram Cohen) isn't
>saying UTF-8 either, merely that at the lowest layers they're binary
>strings.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was Bram Cohen.  The point he was making
was that, while filenames were originally left unencoded and are now
encoded using UTF-8, the particular data mentioned in the article above
was part of the "pieces" key, and was a list of hashes.  These hashes
are binary data, 20 8-bit bytes worth, big-Endian encoded, and are NOT
supposed to be processed through Unicode conversions.  Anyone doing so
will find themselves with dysfunctional .torrent files.