[BitTorrent] Re: How BitTorrent deals with people behind NAT?

tnnd tnnd at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 18:50:28 EST 2005

> "Behind NAT without ports forwarded" == you will only be able to
> initiate connections to those that can recieve them (== those not
behind
> NAT or those behind NAT with ports forwarded)
>
> In either case once the connection is established both will be able
> upload to the other.  So it's not a question of being able to
upload,
> it's question of who you are able to connect to, and forwarding
ports
> makes you much more connectable.
>
> Brian

Brian,

I have a question for clients behind NAT without port forwarding
enabled: when such client requests a file piece from a peer, it opens
a UDP socket to that peer.  If that peer wants to download another
file piece from this client, would BitTorrent use the same UDP socket
to do the uploading and downloading?

The reason for asking is, if the client doesn't have port forwarding,
I think there is no peers can initiate any connection to that
client.  If this is true, then the only way that client can upload is
because other peers have to use the same UDP socket to do upload and
download.  Is this correct?

Thanks
Mingjun