[BitTorrent] Bit Torrent Spec

thayerdhan thayerdhan at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 06:15:38 EST 2005

Hi,

I have been reading the BitTorrent spec I have a couple of questions:

1. Does a client choke all peers in which it is not interested, i.e.,
the only way to get a piece is by EXCHANGE (both client and selected
peer have pieces of interest to each other)?

2. If the above is true, the only way to get a piece upon joining the
system would be from a seed, since none of the other peers would be
interested in you, is this what happens?

The above would be correct from a game theoretic (selfish) point of view.

Sorry if the question seems very basic, but I cannot find a definite
answer to this in the "Incentive Build Robustness in Bit Torrent" or
the protocol spec.

Thanks,
Ineme