[BitTorrent] HELP! "bad bencoded data" with new generated torrent

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed Mar 9 20:03:43 EST 2005

>From: David Smith <smith458 at msu.edu>
>             A hint, where your problem MIGHT be: UTF-8 encoding?

> http://cplan.cse.msu.edu/weblogs/smithiscrazy/archive/2005/02/07/370.aspx

>             P.S.   .torrent files are now encoded in UTF-8 ( I'm pretty sure
> =D )  Check out BT 4.0.0 at http://www.bittorrent.com
> <http://www.bittorrent.com/>

There are two spots that claim BT uses UTF-8, one of the linked to
locations does not exist (http://www.bittorrent.com/download.html), while
the other (http://www.bittorrent.com/protocol.html) says nothing of the
sort. I am therefore highly skeptical of the reliability of the original
author.

The person responding as "Bram" (who may or may not be Bram Cohen) isn't
saying UTF-8 either, merely that at the lowest layers they're binary
strings.

> David Smith
> Michigan State University
> Student Ambassador for Microsoft