[BitTorrent] Merkle, URLs, etc

John Hoffman theshadow at shambala.net
Sun Mar 6 19:52:41 EST 2005

>>{SHA-1 is] not THAT broken, especially not for
>>BitTorrent's purpose.  We may also see some new 20-byte hashes that
>>don't have SHA's weakness.  "160 bits ought to be enough for everyone."
>>;-)
>>

>It is unlikely that there will be any good new 160 bit hashes. The 2^80
>security offered by them has been considered just barely good enough for a
>decade, and an increasing number of cryptanalysts (including myself) are
>pushing that with the breaks seemingly coming faster and faster now we might
>as well just jump to the stronger hashes now, and prepare for a quick jump
>in the future.

Well, please remember that, when it comes to BitTorrent not only is it
not 2^80 but 2^160 security, but BitTorrent has a fixed block size where
many of these attacks require variable block sizes, and I don't think
the new attack is even relevant to SHA-1's strong anti-collision
capability.  It might cause havoc with other systems needing signatures,
but I don't think it affects BT any.