[BitTorrent] XML Torrents?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Mar 11 19:16:30 EST 2005

--On Friday, March 11, 2005 8:29 PM +0000 Konstantin 'Kosta' Welke
<kosta at fillibach.de> wrote:

> Also, the torrents are already too big, they should be an url like http
> or ed2k do it. That why there are efforts to eminate them in bt2.

Looking at the spec <http://www.bittorrent.com/protocol.html>, I see a
filename (or list of filename/length pairs), tracker URL, and a set of
fragment checksums. Most of the size would be the checksums. How do you
propose shrinking this to fit in a URL? I suppose you could designate
trusted peers (eg. initial seeds) to host the checksums.

>> Is bencoding so special? If the original BT protocol had been written in
>> Perl, would everyone be raving about Data::Dumper format? (And I recall
>> that PHP has its own data structure dump format.)
>
> bencoding is not some "binary dump" format. You can think of it as "XML
> without the bloat", i.e. Easy to parse, space-efficient, easy to extend,
> but harder to read for the human eye.

My point was just that bencoding is a Python-centric structure dump.
Data::Dumper is the Perl equivalent, and PHP also has a structure dump.