[BitTorrent] Re: TCP vs. UDP

larytet larytet at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 17:17:27 EST 2005

20% of peers has connection with latency above 300ms
Another problem is geographical location of peers. Peers tend to
establish connections randomly creating unnecessary burden for ISPs.

from the article:"Our interest in latencies of the peers is due to the
well known feature of TCP congestion control which discriminates
against flows with large round-trip times.
This, coupled with the fact that the average size of files exchanged is
in the order of 2-4 MB, makes latency a
very important consideration when selecting amongst multiple peers
sharing the same file."

Amazingly there are peers with 1s latency and more. Clearly these are
peers behind dial ups with large TCP packets in downstream queue
waiting for delivery.

The article contains lot of usefull statistics. I thought that there
are people who did not read it and would be interested in reading it.