[bittorrent] Open letter to the BBC

Alon Rohter arohter at nolar.com
Sat Jun 25 03:36:00 EDT 2005

Correct, the percentage just counts the raw number of bytes written/read
to/from the socket, not tcp headers.  However, Azureus makes a best-effort
attempt at 1) sending "full" (1460 byte) packets out of the socket,
minimizing ip header overhead, and 2) grouping/piggybacking Have messages.
The Have logic is quite simple:  if the other peer is not interested in us
yet, but would be, send the Have right away; otherwise delay the send until
a) we have enough Haves for a full packet or b) we need to send some other
message anyway (like unchoke, interested, request, keep-alive etc) and
piggyback it on that packet.  This way it doesn't "waste" a full ip packet
on a single 9 byte Have message unless absolutely necessary, and yet still
retains all the completion information that would otherwise be lost if we
just skip sending Haves for pieces the other peer already has.  It seems
like a good compromise between efficiency and correctly "seeing" the swarm.