[bittorrent] Open letter to the BBC

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Sat Jun 25 01:08:59 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Olaf van der Spek" <olafvdspek at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [bittorrent] Open letter to the BBC

> On 6/20/05, Alon Rohter <arohter at nolar.com> wrote:
> > Azureus client, popular 350MB 1:1 share ratio at 20KB/s upload rate 200
> > peers.
> > 5.6% download overhead
> > 5.7% upload overhead

> And what exactly does the statistics view consider overhead? Is TCP
> included? IP? Ethernet? Physical?

Not being an expert on Azureus, but a user with the interface in front of
me, it appears to use bytewise receives to do the calculation, which would
likely be TCP packets - header. Including the header would probably double
the overhead because the protocol messages are smaller. As for a running
system performing a variety of uploads on a variety of torrents (a recipe
for high protocol overhead), I am currently connected to 135 peers
(including seeds) and overhead in the last few seconds has been 4.9%
download, 1.2%upload, with variances between about 2% and 7% for download
and 0.3% and 4% for upload, spontaneous share ratio is 1:2 (half as much
upload as download), across the entire session which is at about 2 days, 3%
download overhead, 1% upload overhead, share ratio of 1.2:1 (1.2 bytes
upload for each one downloaded). These numbers indicate that there is a
client or group of clients that is being actually quite chatty, but I don't
feel like tracing it down, it's probably one of the older ones though..
                Joe