[bittorrent] Open letter to the BBC

larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com
Sun Jun 19 18:12:21 EDT 2005

i apologise for mentioning my project in the two previous posts. i should
not do
this. i will avoid any mentiong of the  project in the future on this

mailing list.
arkady.

larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com
wrote:

> > regarding 50%
> > overhead. i witnessed the traffic in my
firewall on dayly basis when downloading
> > from big swarms with small number
of seeds. overall traffic reported by my
> > firewall in some cases was more
than double of what actual data download i
> > got. IP sniffer in that time
reported up to 10 "I have " packets for evey
> > "useful" data packet.
>

> That only happens if you have your client configured to allow unlimited

> (or a very large number of) connections.  In a large swarm it is very
> prudent to limit the max number of connections to something sane, such
> as 75 or 100.  Otherwise the amount of chatter just gets too high,
> unless
the host is on a fast connection and is uploading great amounts.
> Last
I looked the mainline client was limiting it to something slightly
> less
than 64.  I don't know what values typical clients ship with these
> days,
but the above described scenario is typical of a poor
> implementation and
has nothing to do with the protocol.  If there aren't
> a gazillion connections
and yet still 50% of your bandwidth is 'haves',
> then that means that something
is seriously wrong, since those peers
> must by definition be downloading
orders of magnitude faster than you.

> I'd also like to say that, while
I'm sure that rodi is great and all,
> this is a BitTorrent list and discussions
of other protocols are
> off-topic.  Please don't hijack every single thread
to plug your shit.