[bittorrent] Open letter to the BBC

larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com
Sun Jun 19 17:08:50 EDT 2005

"If you believe BT is
such a poor protocol and shouldn't be used, what
are you doing here?"
i use ideas from BT extensively.

regarding 50%
overhead. i witnessed the traffic in my firewall on dayly basis when downloading
from big swarms with small number of seeds. overall traffic reported by my
firewall in some cases was more than double of what actual data download i
got. IP sniffer in that time reported up to 10 "I have " packets for evey
"useful" data packet.

you do not like Rodi, no problem. there are enough
streaming protocols. BBC has choise.

established ? may be and in the same
way BBC can establish a new one - their own proprietary.

suggested to limit access to the BT trackers - it means proprietary BT and
proprietary BT client. Because if BBC lets Azureus clients to connect to the
tracker any BT client gains access to the data.

--- Nick Johnson <arachnid at notdot.net
wrote:
On 20/06/2005, at 7:11 AM, larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com wrote:

> > Why bittorrent and not Rodi ?
> > no need for tracker, signed
packets, UDP undrelrying
> > protocol, can stream data in future, ability
to mutlicast, indexing
> > of the
> > content in case of text files, etc.

> Because BitTorrent is established, has many clients written
for it,
> is well tested and well known.
> 'Rodi', on the other hand,
isn't known to anyone as anything except
> your pet project, as far as
I know.

> > if you do not want Rodi, why just not
> > any of tens
other existing protocols ?

> Because BitTorrent meets criteria
that all the other protocols fail
> to meet.
>

> > BT creates
up to 50% overhead.
> > This is probably one of the most expensive protocols
in terms of
> > the badnwidth
> > efficiency.
> >

> This is
the first claim I've seen of overhead anything like this.
> Have you got
anything to back it up with?

> Not to mention, this is the BitTorrent
list. If you believe BT is