[bittorrent] Open letter to the BBC

larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com
Sun Jun 19 15:11:13 EDT 2005

Why bittorrent and not Rodi ?
no need for tracker, signed packets, UDP undrelrying
protocol, can stream data in future, ability to mutlicast, indexing of the
content in case of text files, etc.

if you do not want Rodi, why just not
any of tens other existing protocols ?

BT creates up to 50% overhead.
This is probably one of the most expensive protocols in terms of the badnwidth
efficiency.

--- Jeff Burdges <weasel at havoc.gtf.org wrote:
This story
is extremely good news:
> http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7537

> The BitTorrent community should draft an open letter to the
BBC
> encouraging them to use a BitTorrent derived protocol for content

> distribution.  Adoption of BitTorrent by the BBC would go a long way

> towards making BitTorrent immune to legal and commercial difficulties.

> Here is the model I would suggest for the BBC's adoption of BitTorrent:

> 1)  Rut a BitTorrent tracker.  Only the BBC may post content to the

> tracker (to avoid copyright issues).  However, anyone may request that

> past BBC content be reposted to the tracker (perhaps requiring a small

> donation).
> 2) Access to the tracker is restricted to those with British
antenna
> licenses.
> 3) Make british antenna licenses, or perhaps a reduced
price version,
> available for purchase online to anyone in the world.
> 4) Consider making "good BitTorrent behavior" (seeding etc.) translate

> into a price reduction for your next antenna license.  Also consider
> making the price of antenna licenses depend on the block of IP
> addresses
for which it should be valid, so you can make them cheaper in
> poor countries.

> BitTorrent is perfect for a broadcaster such as the BBC, as periodic

> reseeding, is not too unlike periodic rebroadcasting.
>
> The BBC may
also want to provide an easier to use on demand download
> service, ass
this would increase their availability to foreign schools.
>   We all agree
that increasing U.S. school children's exposure to the
> BBC's view of things
can only help the world, especially with Bush
> taking over PBS.  :)  Its
true that providing more options will confuse
> matters, but having a BitTorrent
option will have its own positive
> social impact, and will greatly reduce
any growing pains in the
> program.
>

> Alright, this is not the
open letter yet, but I think its a reasonable
> list of ideas with which
to start drafting one.  We also need to
> discuss how to make sure it gets
read by the right people.