[bittorrent] Open letter to the BBC

Jeff Burdges weasel at havoc.gtf.org
Sun Jun 19 07:18:50 EDT 2005

This story is extremely good news:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7537

The BitTorrent community should draft an open letter to the BBC
encouraging them to use a BitTorrent derived protocol for content
distribution.  Adoption of BitTorrent by the BBC would go a long way
towards making BitTorrent immune to legal and commercial difficulties.
Here is the model I would suggest for the BBC's adoption of BitTorrent:

1)  Rut a BitTorrent tracker.  Only the BBC may post content to the
tracker (to avoid copyright issues).  However, anyone may request that
past BBC content be reposted to the tracker (perhaps requiring a small
donation).
2) Access to the tracker is restricted to those with British antenna
licenses.
3) Make british antenna licenses, or perhaps a reduced price version,
available for purchase online to anyone in the world.
4) Consider making "good BitTorrent behavior" (seeding etc.) translate
into a price reduction for your next antenna license.  Also consider
making the price of antenna licenses depend on the block of IP
addresses for which it should be valid, so you can make them cheaper in
poor countries.

BitTorrent is perfect for a broadcaster such as the BBC, as periodic
reseeding, is not too unlike periodic rebroadcasting.

The BBC may also want to provide an easier to use on demand download
service, ass this would increase their availability to foreign schools.
  We all agree that increasing U.S. school children's exposure to the
BBC's view of things can only help the world, especially with Bush
taking over PBS.  :)  Its true that providing more options will confuse
matters, but having a BitTorrent option will have its own positive
social impact, and will greatly reduce any growing pains in the
program.

Alright, this is not the open letter yet, but I think its a reasonable
list of ideas with which to start drafting one.  We also need to
discuss how to make sure it gets read by the right people.

Thank you,
Jeff Burdges