[bittorrent] question on the blocks downloading in BT

Tom H. Lan tomlan at ust.hk
Sat Jun 11 21:30:56 EDT 2005

> You have to worry about it, but the strategy needn't be quite so drastic.
> In this case you merely need to redownload the pieces that you didn't get
> from the existing peer. You combine these duplicates with the ones that
> you'd already downloaded from the peer. If these together verify
> correctly you can attribute the bad block to one of the peers that didn't
> give you the entire piece. If this doesn't verify you blame the new peer,
> disconnect and keep the older blocks.

You refer to redownloading. Does the peer just ask its neighbors to upload
some block from some piece to some piece? Or it just asks its neighbor to
upload
the half-baked block but do not inform them which piece it needs.

I think it is better to say whether the piece has ID so that peers know
which piece in which block is missing.