[bittorrent] question on the blocks downloading in BT

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Sat Jun 11 05:22:13 EDT 2005

On 11 Jun 2005, at 04:21, Tom H. Lan wrote:

> Dear everyone,
>
> You see when a peer is downloading a block, the uploader of the
> bolck may depart the networks anytime. So it is very likely that a
> peer have some partially downloaded blocks. How peers deal with
> these blocks? Do they ask other peers to upload these block based
> on what they have? Or just drop these blocks?

Thats not quite clear. I think it is best to discard them, as they
havent been verified and therefore if you complete the block from
another peer and it does not match the hash you cannot tell which one
sent you incorrect data. Perhaps thats a slightly paranoid viewpoint.

The fact that all pieces received cannot be verified individually is
a problem with the protocol.

Justin