[bittorrent] a question on Random First Piece

Tom H. Lan tomlan at ust.hk
Thu Jun 9 08:38:40 EDT 2005

Dear everyone,

I have a question puzzle me a lot and I need your help.

You see in BT that each file is chopped into different blocks and then further chopped into pieces. Peers relay the blocks between each other. I wonder whether block is the unit of the request. I mean that whether it is possible that peers will relay the block they are downloading which may have not been totally downloaded. If yes, it seems to me that the conception of block is useless.

And we know that a new peer who joins the BT networks will random choose a block to download. Does it mean that it can only upload to others when it finishes downloading the block.

Thanks very much.

Bests,

Tom