[bittorrent] Use of reserved bits in bt handshake

Arnaud Legout Arnaud.Legout at sophia.inria.fr
Thu Jul 21 12:08:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

Justin Cormack wrote:

>I came across a client today that sets the first bit in the 8 zero
>bytes in the handshake after 'BitTorrent Protocol'. Anyone know what
>client this might be and what it might mean?

In the mainline client (4.1.x), this bit is used to identify the peers
that can use the trackerless protocol.
You can have a look at the Connecter.py,  _read_messages method.

It seems to me that a similar convention is used by Azureus.

Regards,
Arnaud.

--
Arnaud Legout, Ph.D.

INRIA Sophia Antipolis - Planète  Phone : 00.33.4.92.38.78.15
2004 route des lucioles - BP 93   Fax   : 00.33.4.92.38.79.78
06902 Sophia Antipolis CEDEX      E-mail: arnaud.legout at sophia.inria.fr
FRANCE                            Web   : http://www-sop.inria.fr/planete/Arnaud.Legout/index.html