[bittorrent] Use of reserved bits in bt handshake

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Thu Jul 21 09:58:53 EDT 2005

I came across a client today that sets the first bit in the 8 zero
bytes in the handshake after 'BitTorrent Protocol'. Anyone know what
client this might be and what it might mean?

I think it *might* be Azureus, as I think it is the seed for Sun's
OpenSolaris torrents.

It is of course a completely useless way of specifying protocol
extensions as it doesnt allow for any negotiation, all you can do is
disconnect or ignore it and kind of hope it might be ok. Makes
interoperability very hard...

Wondering if I should just not check this part...

Justin