[bittorrent] Should new protocols be discussed here?

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Sun Jul 17 05:50:46 EDT 2005

On 17 Jul 2005, at 05:29, Bill Cox wrote:

> Hi.
>
> As you may have read already, I've got a basic BitTorrent file system
> running.  However, doing things like running xine on a mounted DVD
> video
> or xmms to play music from a torrent don't work so well.  I'd also
> like
> to use this system with YUM.  The BitTorrent doesn't work very well
> for
> these applications.
>
> I'm starting some initial design work on a new p2p protocol, only
> loosely based on BT, which hopefully could work well.  I think the
> primary application will be streaming video, both TV broadcasts (where
> lots of people watch at the same time), and video on demand (where
> each
> person does their own thing).  I'm also thinking of adding features to
> make the protocol better suited for legal delivery of copyrighted
> material (such as fee-per-use VoD).  If the protocol works well, I
> should be able to mount remote torrents as a file system, and then
> just
> play videos, or use YUM or up2date to update my system as if the files
> were already on my disk.
>
> I suspect that any realistic discussions of such a protocol could
> generate a lot of e-mails.
>
> Is this the right place to have that discussion?  If so, I've got
> about
> 5 pages of introduction to the problems I'm interested in possibly
> tackling, without even getting started on solutions...

I am very happy for it to be discussed here. It is a subject I am
particularly interested in.

However I dont think that it cant be done with bittorrent, perhaps
with some tiny protocol changes.

I would encourage you to go down this route before starting again
with a new protocol (there seem to be too many of them already...)

(I havent had a chance to test your prototype btfs yet, sorry will do
shortly).