[bittorrent] Trackerless torrents

Joris Guisson joris.guisson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 07:28:38 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have read the kademlia paper and want to add trackerless torrents to
KTorrent. But there doesn't seem to be much documentation on the
details, and after googling around I came across this mailing list. So
I have some questions :

- How do the packets exactly look like ? Are they just plain data or
are they b-encoded ?
- How do you know if a peer you make a connection to, is capable of
being a node in the kademlia network ? Do you just send a PING to some
default port ? Or is there something added to the initial handshake
when you connect (in those 8 unused bytes) ?

Joris,