[bittorrent] Choking based on network closeness?

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Mon Jul 11 14:46:01 EDT 2005

On 11 Jul 2005, at 18:45, Bill McGonigle wrote:

> I was curious if anyone has experimented with a choking algorithm
> based
> primarily on network closeness, rather than transfer speeds?
>
> For many situations the close peers are going to be the fastest
> anyhow.
>   But in some circumstances one might prefer a slower, closer peer
> than
> a faster, farther peer.  Those circumstances probably amount to
> someone
> paying for Internet transit at a peering point.

It came up on the list before, and there were some uses for it. The
main problem is that no one seems to have enough information to
measure closeness, unless you actually work for a large ISP or run BGP.

If some metric that could be made available to more developers could
be found then some progress might be made...