[BitTorrent] Tracker scrape extension proposal

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Thu Jan 13 12:25:55 EST 2005

Nick Johnson wrote:
> On 13/01/2005, at 1:07 PM, Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com Administrator
> wrote:
>
>>If you're scraping for 100 torrents, you may be better off just
>>getting the full scrape anyway. As wrong as the behavior appears for
>>multiple info_hash values, the way that it is handled is fairly
>>consistent across different archtypes of trackers (although is more
>>dependent on the archtypes of programming styles). Additional
>>trackers will be supporting this in the near future.
>>

> This isn't such a good idea when the tracker has literally thousands of
> torrents, though. I'd really like to see an extension that has at least

1000 torrents would result in 32 kb of 'real' info. That's assuming
bencoding overhead is compressed away.
100 single-scrape requests/responses already use 50 kb (IP/TCP/HTTP
overhead).
So a full-scrape might be the best option.