[BitTorrent] BitTorrent File System ideas

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Sun Jan 23 22:25:23 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 12:44 +1300, Nick Johnson wrote:

> On 22/01/2005, at 4:25 AM, Bill Cox wrote:
>

> > I thought a bit more about making a fuse based virtual file system for
> > BitTorrent.  If there are no objections, how about calling the idea
> > BTFS, for BitTorrent File System?
>
> ...why? What exactly would the point of such a system be?
> Your proposal is missing an essential part: Use Cases.
>
> -Nick Johnson

I agree.  The use cases are far-fetched.  I'm mostly just throwing the
idea out on this forum to see if they spark any real interest.

In the realm of far-fetched ideas, a BTFS is used to distribute
operating systems, and bypasses much of the install process.

I plan to finish btslave before working on anything like this.

Bill