[BitTorrent] Plans for Multicast?

movgp0 johann.dirry at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 07:07:52 EST 2005

Hi,
I've looked at how BitTorrent work. It is a very good protocol design.

But if I look at my Upload/Download-ratio from Bittorrent and from my
last-mile-ADSL I'm missing support for an parallel-existing and
cross-excanging[1] multicast deployment tree where possible.

In fact I think on an hybrid protocol between (Fat)Nemo[2] and
BitTorrent[3].

As an given Example see [4]. Distribute torrents over the Internet per
Unicast and within the (NAT-less) LAN over Multicast[5]. For End-Users
it is currently not really possible to distribute files in these
manner because of the lack of Applications doing so.

Are there any plans to implement such a feature?

Sincerly,
MovGP0

[1] Meaning that unicast-nodes exchange data with multicast-nodes over
    unicast channels for backward compatibility.
[2] http://www.aqualab.cs.northwestern.edu/Nemo.html
[3] http://bittorrent.com/introduction.html
[5] I think also on a kind of (auto-setup) streaming-proxy.
    ?threaded=1