[BitTorrent] Can a tracker actively tell clients to stop downloading?

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Thu Jan 6 11:51:08 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 11:49 -0500, Jarret R wrote:
> I am working on integrating BitTorrent and Yum and it would be lovely if
> when a package is upgraded the tracker could tell all current peers /
> seeds that this swarm is no longer useful. Even better would be to point
> then to the new torrent. I could just stop tracking the hash, but I'm
> looking for something a little more elegant. Preferably that doesn't
> cause errors in the client.
>
> We are currently using the bttrack.py tracker, but could be persuaded to
> use something else if need be.

Very interesting idea...  BitTorrent and Yum could be pretty cool.  It
sounds like a simple enough extension to the tracker response.  Some
sort of a "move_to" key could do the trick.

While you're at it, you could add a key to indicate that there's a new
torrent that the seed/peer should consider supporting.  That way, when a
new package is added, you could quickly get seeders for it.

Bill