[BitTorrent] Re: Request for protocol extension: get_info/info

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Wed Jan 19 19:52:33 EST 2005

> Justin Cormack wrote:
> > Not sure how much tracker overhead is, really not sure how many files
> > the average torrent is, I think the number is generally small.
>
> There are 2000+ image torrents and 20+ audio torrents. I'd not want to
> have more torrents due to that.

Its not that there is any fundamental reason why there shouldnt be a file
based protocol, its just not well designed as one as is. Its a block protocol
with files overlaid on it by concatenation. Even having files starting only
on piece boundaries (ie some pieces other than the last smaller) would fix
most of the nastiness that comes in the code to write out and read from files.

(I cant remember if there was some change to this in Brams BT2 draft, vaguely
remember there was).

Justin