[BitTorrent] ipv6

Christoph Hohmann reboot78 at freenet.de
Thu Jan 20 14:46:25 EST 2005

Bill Cox wrote:

>However, it would be fairly easy to have two returned keys:  peers, and
>peers_ipv6.  I think that would solve the internet tracker problem.

The bigger problem I encountered when I tried to make an
IPv6 version of Bittorrent is that most trackers don't
accept IPs provided by the peer and use the source IP which
it also checked with the NAT check to verify that it is
correct. With this it is not possible for a peer to tell the
tracker it's IPv4 and IPv6 address. The IP the tracker
returns to other peers would depend on the IP protocol that
is used to talk to the tracker.

Additionally it would be better if the tracker would not
know about IPv4 or IPv6 and just group addresses into
categories which can be requested by the peer. Like this
even an IPv4 only tracker can provide IPv6 addresses when
the peer requests addresses from this category. The peers
would tell the tracker for each address it sends to the
tracker in which category it belongs.

If you want to keep a NAT check to make sure that Bittorrent
is not used to start DDoS attacks the actual NAT check would
have to be done by the other peers. An IPv4 only tracker can
not do NAT check for IPv6 clients. Only other IPv6 clients
could provide this information to the tracker. My idea was
to give each IP a trust value and when more peers report
that they successfully connected to the IP the trust
increases or decreases if the connection failed. The more
trust a peer has the more often it is returned to other
peers.

This would require an official extension of the tracker
protocol. Otherwise i doubt that any other implementation of
the tracker would implement it in the future.

--
http://reboot.animeirc.de (Personal Homepage)
http://sylpheed-claws.sourceforge.net/ (Open Source Mailer)