[BitTorrent] An alternative "super-seed" mode

Nick Johnson arachnid at notdot.net
Sat Jan 29 18:28:03 EST 2005

Jesus Cea wrote:

>The current "super-seed" proposal is described in
>http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification and
>http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/superseed.txt.
>
>First, suppose that the seed is bandwidth "starved".
>
>I wish to discuss an alternative implementation, more simple:
>
>A "new age" Super-Seed node would behave like a usual seed, with a
>simple modification:
>
>When you are going to send a new piece, choose the peer that LESS pieces
>had received in the last X minutes (X=5, for example). Not from you, but
>  from other peers.
>
>The logic here is that the peers receiving more pieces from others, are
>the ones sending less data to the swarm.

So you're favoring peers that are parsimonious and don't contribute much
to the swarm? Given this strategy, the best strategy for a peer in a
super-seeder-heavy torrent would be to upload nothing, and hence get
priority from all the peers over those that are actually uploading
something.

It would seem to me to make far more sense for seeds to prioritise
sending chunks to nearly-finished peers first, to raise the number of
seeds as quickly as possible.

-Nick Johnson