[BitTorrent] Re: Request for protocol extension: get_info/info

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Wed Jan 19 18:43:43 EST 2005

Justin Cormack wrote:
>>The disadvantage is that you have to unpack them. ;-)
>>Users aren't likely to keep both the unpacked and the packed form and
>>are likely to delete the packed form.
>>
>>The disadvantage of multiple torrents is tracker load.
>>What exactly is the complication of multiple files?
>

> Well the complication is that they are overlaid rather simply on what is
> basically a block rather than file transfer format (eg file starts are not
> aligned with requests which is really unpleasant, as a piece write may have
> to write to large numbers of files). And as stated above it means more
> information to transfer in the torrent file.

True, true, but merkle trees should solve both.

> The fact that people might not keep the packed form is something I hadnt
> thought about. This is not the case if you use loopback file system images
> (so long as they dont need to be compressed too) - I quite like the way
> MacOS X uses ISO images and other loop fs images all over the place. Of

True, but ISOs are 'meant' to be burned, which I think frequently
happens. And then you can't (easily) regenerate the ISO for seeding,
while you can easily reseed the files on the CD/DVD itself.