[BitTorrent] ipv6

Martin Burggraf TSO at gmx.de
Tue Jan 25 04:59:24 EST 2005

John Hoffman schrieb:

> Without the tracker's verifying the source IP, or at least checking the
> IP for an active BitTorrent client, it would be possible for an attacker
> to insert an IP into very active torrents, causing a DDoS situation.

How active should this swarm be?
If a client tries to connect and doesn't get a response, it should delete the
IP from it's internal list, so an IP without success is only tried once per
client.
Some of the most active torrents I've seen so far had about only 10000 peers,
and usually not all peers try to connect at once. So there are _at_most_ 10000
connections in about half an hour (until the tracker deletes the IP from it's
list because there is no update). I don't think this is enough for a DDoS.

bye
TSO