[BitTorrent] Can a tracker actively tell clients to stop downloading?

Jarret R jarito at lehigh.edu
Wed Jan 5 11:49:43 EST 2005

I am working on integrating BitTorrent and Yum and it would be lovely if
when a package is upgraded the tracker could tell all current peers /
seeds that this swarm is no longer useful. Even better would be to point
then to the new torrent. I could just stop tracking the hash, but I'm
looking for something a little more elegant. Preferably that doesn't
cause errors in the client.

We are currently using the bttrack.py tracker, but could be persuaded to
use something else if need be.

Thanks!
Jarret Raim
Lehigh University