[BitTorrent] Re: Request for protocol extension: get_info/info messages

iain_wade iwade at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 12 00:09:28 EST 2005

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "Olaf van der Spek" <OvdSpek at L...>
> As follow-up to my .torrent-less download thread, I'd like two
messages to
> be added to the BT protocol: get_info and info.
> get_info has no payload
> info has has payload containing info (bencoded, from .torrent)
> get_info could be send after the handshake and before other messages
> info should be send after receiving a handshake and get_info, but
before
> receiving other messages

Hello Bram, and list members,

I would also like to see a get_info/info extension added.

I work for an ISP and we are eager to cache bittorrent content to
lighten the load on our network links as much as possible as well as
accelerate the performance for our (and yours) users. win/win.

The intention of our caching peer is to have it passively listening
for connections solely from our own customer base, not to participate
in the general torrent distribution.

To be able to do this, we need two things. The first is to get the
clients to connect to us. We need that to happen by default as relying
on user configuration would limit this feature to a small fraction of
the user base. (I have a http proxy (for tracker communications)
written which will add itself to the list of peers before returning,
but getting a few hundred thousand people to change their settings is
going to be a problem for us).

I would like the following patch to be integrated into the official
BitTorrent client (as well as any other clients) for this reason. It
does a single dns lookup each time the program starts for
"btcache.p2p" and adds the ip addresses returned to the peer list:

https://habitue.net/projects/bt/btcache.patch

The second feature would be the get_info/info extension so we can
obtain the "pieces" and "piece length" fields needed for sensible
torrent participation.

https://habitue.net/projects/bt/btgetinfo.patch

If people are against including the getinfo patch for any reason, I
would still be eager to see the first patch included as I have some
code written which will "probe" the block size (powers of 2) and not
do any data checking if I don't have the pieces hashes.

I've got the .torrent-less caching server code written and freely
available under a GPL license.

https://habitue.net/projects/bt/

If anyone has any feedback I'd be glad to hear it.

Regards,
--Iain

Note// I understand JoltId (http://www.joltid.com) have been
contacting bittorrent client authors and paying for them to implement
a caching proxy solution locked in to their proprietary PeerCache
protocol. I would hope any agreements with them do not preclude the
fruits of our own work (open source and freely available) being
accepted.